Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Potty Time!

I have been dreading this day since before I had children. Going potty is so gross and I don't want to teach a little monster how to do it! I knew it was gonna be a chore but I have always hoped I would just have an easy kid. Well Parker has never been EASY....so I should have known better! We have been talking to Parker about going potty since he was about 2, and we even let him sit on the toilet a few times. There was a few times we got a little tinkle out, but he just wasn't ready. He even got to the point where he wouldn't even go near the toilet.



Brian got frustrated a couple months ago and just put underwear on the kid to let him feel what it is like to be wet. Parker freaked out of course, and I put diapers on the poor guy again.



The last couple weeks we have really been talking to him about going potty and going into a lot of details with him. Parker actually brings up the subject most of the time, so we decided it is probably time to give it another try. But Parker still didn't want anything to do with the toilet or his little seat. So I decided maybe he needs his own little potty to try out.

On Monday I took Parker to pick out his very own potty. He was so excited he wanted to take his clothes off at the store and try it out! He first picked a little pink frog, but I talked him into the green one instead. Brian still thinks it is girly, but it's Parker's potty and that's the one he wanted!


We brought the potty home and Parker got right on it and went pee! He was so excited! I tried to give him some M&Ms but he freaked out cause there weren't enough to cover the bottom of the bowl. OCD. Anyways, after that blew over he was a little bit worried about the potty. On Tuesday Parker tried sitting on the potty but nothing. His friends were over and I think that kind of messed things up. He didn't go all day, and didn't seem to really care. I was so bummed. I asked a couple friends for some tips and decided to start fresh today.



So first thing we took off his diaper and put on underwear. I told him not to get it wet and he ran over to the potty and sat right down and went pee! We were so excited. I gave him a red vine and he loved it. He played for like 5 minutes and then asked for more candy. I told him he had to go potty if he wanted more so he took off his underwear and sat on the toilet for like 45 minutes!! I kept telling him he could play til he was ready to go again, but he was determined to get that candy. Sure enough after awhile there was some pee and poo in the potty! He was ecstatic! So was I! I think he is really getting it this time. I just need to stick it out and keep the underwear on him. I think it is gonna be a tough couple weeks but it should be worth it. He is a good kid, maybe it was me that wasn't ready....


OOPS! Before I could even post Parker had an accident on the floor. Atleast it wasn't the carpet. No biggie....thats what I get for not paying attention right?

2 comments:

Kim said...

Yay Parker! Logan did that too where he would try time after time to get like 3 drops of pee out so he could have another sucker! My MIL said that she always told her kids that Spiderman (or whoever was on their underwear) didn't want to be peed on so they had to go on the potty. Logan didn't really care about that but maybe Parker will. Good luck!

Melissa said...

I am like you and dread it. But our little one really likes the potty. He goes every time we get in the bath tub. He loves to flush the toilet. So I tell him that he can only flush if he goes potty. That is great that he is so excited! Good luck!