Saturday, July 10, 2010

Potty training update

Things have been going great with the potty! Parker stays dry almost every day. I figured out that I just need to tell him to go rather than ask him if he needs to. Sometimes he does remember on his own, but for the most part I just send him every couple of hours. He is still having some trouble with #2, but I think he is just a little shy about it or something. I would say he does it about half of the time in the potty. The other day I heard this from the other room:

Parker-"Uh Oh! I don't get my bike now"

Me- "Uh Oh, how come?"

Parker-"Cause I just pooped in my underwears!"

Atleast he gets the concept right? And I never told him he would get a bike for pooping in the potty. I think he connected that to when I told him he could have some money if he goes. He was going so much he was getting alot of candy so we switched to money. Then another time when we were talking about bikes I told him he needs to save all his money to buy one. So there is the link. He doesn't get money or candy every time anymore....that wore off quick. Thank Goodness!

Parker is also going through another life changing experience. He gave up his binky finally!! On July 7 he was going to the range with his dad and Parker said that he wanted to trade his binky in for his new bow. So Brian took him over to our store and had him pay for the bow with his binky! He was so proud and confident until about 8:30 that night when he got home and it was time for bed! Oops. He realized what he had done and he went nuts. He was screaming and crying for a long time. I went in there and sang him some songs and tickled his arm, but when I got up to leave he freaked out again. It was around 10 when I realized he hadn't really had dinner (I know I am a bad mom). So we fed him a bowl of cereal and he went back to bed and passed out. Glad that was over with. It has been stressing me out for a couple of years now! We made it through the first night and he was still alive! I couldn't believe it. He did cry when he woke up for about 15 minutes. He was convinced he could go trade the bow back, and when we told him it got deposited at the bank he decided we needed to go there to get them back. Then all the sudden he snapped out of it and said, "I traded my bow and arrow, I'm a big boy now!" and he was fine again. Weirdest thing. Then that afternoon he was tired and it was around nap time and he had another fit and snapped out of it the same way. That second night was easier than the first and the third night was even better. Today he only asked about it once. I never thought we would see this day. Seriously. What a relief! And knock on wood but he hasn't tried to take Eli's away yet. It can only get better right?




All I have to say Parker -It's about time kid~! You are growing up. And I am not sad about any of these recent milestones. The only thing I cringe about is the fact that your nap time no longer exists. But for the most part you pretty much entertain yourself so I can get stuff done! I love you little boy!


P.S. A big thanks to Grandma Bonnie for sending Elmo's Potty Time for Parker...it's been a big hit!

1 comment:

Kim said...

Way to go Parker!

And I'm glad I'm not the only one who sometimes realizes I haven't fed my kids in a while...