Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Eli the wild beast goes to the library...

Have you ever seen the parents that walk around with their kid on a leash? Seriously? What is wrong with them? Treating their kids like an animal. Ok I will admit maybe I used to think this was weird until I had Eli. Eli is like an animal. I can’t take him many places with out having him on the leash anymore. If he isn’t strapped in the stroller he is hooked to the leash!


So today we finally made it to story time at the library today for the first time in a couple of months. Parker loves to go and pick out books and he will sit for the stories, but there is no way to get Eli to hold still. He just won’t do it. He has to wiggle and run and twitch. The leash is necessary at the library! We just can make it through without it.

Today, instead of paying attention to my wild child I was texting (oops) and I handed the leash to Parker. It was all he could do to hold on to that kid. Full tension on the rope, since they weight about the same it was a pretty equal fight.

Right in the middle of the quiet story time Parker’s little arm gives out and he shouts, “OH NO! He got loose!” I look up from my phone to see Eli like a wild beast busting out of a cage running as fast as he can down the little story time steps all the way to the bottom. I don’t think I have ever seen the kid move so fast. He throws himself around a little girl who was standing there a like a deer in the headlights! They both tumble to the ground and Eli had a death grip on the poor thing. I was down there pretty quick trying to pry him off the girl, but he just wouldn’t let go. It was like he had made his kill and was ready to eat! The little girl looked so scared, “Mommmmy!!!” All I could do was say sorry and hurry back to my seat with a better grip on the leash.

I think at first all the parents were a little nervous, but after I finally pulled him off I could hear a few chuckles. They were probably just relieved it wasn’t their kid he smashed in a choke hold.

It was weird to because through the whole event the story teller just kept reading as if everyone was able to see the book or hear. We were standing 6 inches from her feet blocking the whole show, but I think everyone there got their entertainment for the morning.

I laughed so hard after I was crying. Wish I could have got it on video. My words will never do the story justice.

Next time you see a kid on a leash don't judge. It is for your and your child's own protection! :)


Watch out for Eli the wild beast. Best left in a cage, or a on a leash.



1 comment:

Jen Duke said...

I totally feel ya on the used-to-judge-about-leashes thing. That's probably the reason I got such a hard child! (laughing) That story was funny- at least you can find the humor in it!